What to Do After an Accident | FAQs
Partner Robert "Chip" Younce Jr. offers a few tips -- and pitfalls -- to keep in mind after being involved in an accident. For more information, visit https://www.attorneync.com/car-accidents-lawyer/what-to-do-after-an-accident/.
Accidents are an unfortunate reality of life. When involved in an accident, often times, it’s easy to overlook what you should do next, due to the nature of the accident. At Younce, Vtipil, Baznik & Banks, we want to provide you with 5 important steps to go through when involved in an accident:
1. Call the police immediately. Sometimes the other driver will try to talk you into just settling between the two of you. That's almost always a mistake. What if they change their mind? What if you are hurt a lot worse than you thought? It can be really hard to enforce that oral agreement. Always, always call the police to the scene to investigate IMMEDIATELY.
2. Before giving a recorded statement to an insurance adjuster, get an attorney. You may think some things you say are perfectly innocent and you have nothing to hide, but later on it can be taken out of context and used against you.
3. Get medical treatment as soon as possible. Delays and gaps in treatment can make it hard for us to document your injuries. And every time you see the doctor, please tell them everything that's bothering you, not just what is hurting the most. Be completely open and honest with the doctor.
4. Some people don't want to file their medical bills with their own health insurance. In North Carolina that's a mistake that can cost you a lot of money. Even if someone else was at fault and had liability insurance, file your medical bills with your health insurance everywhere you can.
5. Some insurance adjusters will try to trick you into settling your injury claim right away before you have even finished getting your medical care. Don't do it! No matter what anyone says, you never know how long it may take to heal completely or how much it may cost to get you there. Don't even think about settling until you finish treatment and you're as good as new again.
We appreciate you considering Younce, Vtipil & Baznik for your legal needs, if you have any further questions please feel free to call or email us at the number below.
Choosing the right Law Firm makes all the difference. Younce, Vtipil, Baznik & Banks, P.A. is a highly respected law firm with offices in Raleigh, NC and serving all of North Carolina. Our attorneys handle a variety of claims, including automobile, truck and motorcycle accidents, workers’ compensation injuries, Social Security disability claims, wrongful death cases, harmful drug injuries, slip and fall injuries, and product liability claims, such as asbestos. Although most of our cases settle out of court, if it is in our client’s best interest, we are ready, willing and able to take a case to trial. Don’t settle for second best. Call Us today! We offers a free initial consultation, which allows you the opportunity to sit with us and go over the facts of your case.
Younce, Vtipil, Baznik & Banks P.A.
3701 Lake Boone Trail, # 300